Thursday, November 18, 2021 3:00 PM
ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - Greater Houston chapter OFFICE
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter including salary expectations and resume to [email protected].
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national trade association with more than 21,000 members based on merit shop construction and free enterprise principles. ABC Greater Houston is consistently recognized as one of the top ABC chapters and represents over 450 members, including commercial and industrial general contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers, and associates. Houston, Texas is one of the most diverse and fastest-growing cities in the United States, and the ABC Greater Houston chapter reflects the community in both diversity and growth. Houston is home to the world’s largest medical center, NASA, amazing museums and theaters, and is also considered the energy capital of the world. ABC members make the growth in Houston possible by building the infrastructure, buildings, manufacturing facilities, schools, churches, and hospitals that make this city so strong.
The President will help lead ABC Greater Houston to be the most powerful pro‐business, pro‐free enterprise advocate for the construction industry and lead the association to consistently deliver value to its members and the construction industry.
Provides strategic and operational leadership to ensure that the mission, goals, and objectives of the Chapter are achieved efficiently and effectively. In collaboration with, and under the general vision set forth by the Board of directors, provides hands-on management of all areas of the Chapter including membership value and development, employee relations and development, finance and accounting, internal and external communication, technology, facilities, and political, government and public relations. As the spokesperson and face of the Chapter, professionally represents the Chapter before both internal and external groups.
The President will be responsible for:
Strategic Vision and Integration
- Work collaboratively with the Board of Directors to create or modify a strategic plan for the Chapter on an annual basis, which aligns with the ABC Association Wide Strategic Plan.
- Carry out the strategies and actions of the Board-approved strategic plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors, staff, and the Chapter committees.
- Maintain, measure, and report to the Board of Directors the progress of the strategic plan.
- Develop the construction acumen to identify trends that impact our industry and our members.
- Identify and develop strategic relationships with state and local officials for the betterment of ABC.
- Maintain an awareness of laws and regulations (proposed and enacted) that affect the industry and our members.
- Utilize technology to optimize efficiencies and member experience.
- Collaborate with ABC National staff and other chapters to advance the chapter and national goals.
- Ensure the chapter aligns with the mission, charter, bylaws, and policies of the national association and the laws of the United States as well as state and local governments.
- Ensure the chapter follows the mission, charter, bylaws, and policies of ABC Greater Houston.
- Ensure appropriate governance for all actions of the Board.
- Prepare, maintain, and codify all records for the Board of Director’s meetings.
- Oversee the Membership Director to promote membership growth and retention.
- Achieve fiscal goals, as defined by the Board, year over year.
- Work in conjunction with the Treasurer and Budget & Finance Committee to develop, execute, and achieve the annual budget year over year.
- Ensure appropriate Board oversight and governance for all financial matters.
- Oversee staff on all matters that pertain to the financial management of the association including, but not limited to, monthly financial statements, annual review/audit, tax filings, investment management, and all necessary recordkeeping activities.
- Work with staff and volunteers to meet fundraising goals for Federal PAC/FEA and local PAC funds.
- Ensure a best-in-class team that will seamlessly support the ABC mission and membership.
- Analyze salary and benefits in the market to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Foster diversity to elicit innovative and effective decision-making and strategies.
- Responsible for all personnel activities including, but not limited to, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, performance management, discipline, termination, succession planning/development of staff members.
- Develop, implement, and monitor the necessary policies and procedures, i.e., employee policy manual.
- Develop culture of the staff and membership to mirror/enhance the organization’s culture.
- Oversee internal and contracted Government Affairs staff.
- Work with volunteer leadership and committees to set ABC Greater Houston’s goals at both the local and state level.
- Coordinate with ABC national lobbyists in DC and ABC of Texas Lobbyist in Austin to make sure ABC Greater Houston’s interests are being represented.
- Serve as an advisor to ABC Greater Houston’s Political Action Committee.
- Participates in all National ABC functions, national Board meetings, conventions, leadership conferences, legislative conferences, President conferences, and all other activities on a national level in maintaining the stature of the Greater Houston Chapter.
- The President will possess a professional background characterized by integrity, initiative, leadership, organizational skills, coalition building, and public involvement. Knowledge of the construction industry, the Merit Shop philosophy, and the political process desired. This position reports to and works for the Board.
Key Strategic Initiatives include:
- Legislative, Labor Issues, Political and Legal
- Workforce Development, Apprenticeship and Craft Training
- Marketing/Business Development/Community
- Coordinate the alignment of the goals developed in the strategic plan with the Chair/Lead of each strategic initiative.
- Support the Chair/Leads with action task planning.
- Oversee, measure, and adjust the action tasks to ensure optimum outcomes are achieved in each strategic component.
- Passion for the free enterprise system and merit shop philosophy.
- Experience in leadership, management, and decision‐making with direct accountability for results at the executive level, with a budget and staff of comparable size and complexity to that of ABC Greater Houston.
- Experience leading a not-for-profit trade association or executive experience in the Construction Industry.
- Proven ability to build and foster positive relationships and create a broad network both internally with the members and externally with the community.
- Experience building consensus among disparate groups and volunteer leaders with varied and often competing interests.
- Experience in engaging, delegating, and motivating both staff and volunteers in the execution and implementation of association plans, activities, and events.
- Experience serving as a politically savvy face and voice of an industry or group at the state or national level
- Prior experience as a skilled and strategic spokesperson and advocate on public policy issues and with the media.
- While experience in the construction industry is not a requirement, knowledge of, or the ability to quickly become substantively credible about the construction industry and its issues is important.
Critical Competencies for Success
- Strategic Visionary: The President will be an executive who will tell the merit shop industry's story in a credible and passionate way that enhances the business climate and adds value to ABC's members. The President will be experienced in anticipating issues and building consensus around policy positions and be an active listener who cultivates and leverages a network of relationships to advance the industry's agenda. The President will work with the Board of Directors to balance long‐term strategic thinking with short‐term goals. The President will work collaboratively with the national association leadership in the alignment of strategy with the ABC Association Wide Strategic Plan.
- Leadership and Management: The President will work with the Executive Committee and Board of Directors to ensure the association's continued operational strength. The President will demonstrate a transparent and inclusive style, build consensus around key issues and initiatives, and promote a culture of passion and urgency among the staff.
Must be able to pass a background check and drug screening, as well as personal reference checks.
Read the rest of entry »