ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - New Jersey chapter OFFICE
||Director, Workforce Development & Apprenticeship Education
||Mount Laurel, NJ
TO APPLY: To apply or learn more about the position, please email your resume and/or any questions to [email protected].
Supervises and coordinates the day-to-day management of the Chapter’s Apprenticeship Program, as well as leads the ABC New Jersey Workforce Development initiative, in accordance with the Strategic Plan. Finds new ways to get people (youth and adults) employed within the construction industry. Promotes the importance of training, safety and workforce development to all members and potential construction members within the Chapter footprint.
Supervises: The apprenticeship coordinator and any other department staff by providing direction, coordination, motivation and monitoring performance of same.
Duties, Responsibilities and Authority
- Oversight of operations and outcomes of apprenticeship and craft training, including:
- Program oversight of trades offered, instructors recruited, certified and trained.
- Achieve goals and expectations, driven by the strategic plan.
- Develop and advance new training solutions for members, including identifying training needs of members.
- Assist in preparation of annual budgets.
- Increase member usage of apprenticeship offerings.
- Work with community and industry to increase ABC NJ Chapter training visibility, exposure, and penetration in the construction community.
- Oversee fulfillment of required paperwork and recordkeeping.
- Work with the Director of Operations
- Assessing member needs and assist in developing safety services to meet those needs.
- Assist In delivery of safety services when needed including jobsite visits and OSHA representation.
- Lead Workforce Development initiatives per our Strategic Plan including:
- Research for finding new ways to get people employed in construction.
- Research availability of working with local institutions of higher learning in order to encourage construction career path choices.
- Expand the number of our articulation agreements in place.
- Help to develop robust marketing of the ABC-NJ apprenticeship education program.
- Serve as a liaison to the Workforce Development Committee.
- Work with the Committee and the membership in the identification of the pre-apprenticeship, craft training, and educational needs of members and industry.
- Increase member use of educational offerings.
4. Work with community and industry to increase our training visibility, exposure, and penetration in the construction.
- Potential conference participation, presentations and career fairs, which could necessitate times outside the normal business day.
- Attend the ABC National Conferences as required.
- Attend Chapter’s membership meetings and other chapter meetings and events as directed.
- Chapter Staff: maintains a professional and working relationship with all other staff members that will help the Association reach all of its objectives smoothly. Will be aware of and understand all Chapter and Trust policies and procedures.
- Chapter & Trust committees: maintain a professional and ethical relationship that will help the committees achieve its goals and assist the committees to the extent that staff and budgeted resources are available. Establish and maintain rapport with committee chairs to assure a smooth and productive working relationship.
- General Membership: always respond professionally and quickly to inquiries or requests for help from members. Request for services or assistance outside of the department’s resources should be referred to the appropriate department or the President.
Minimum Requirements/Performance Standards
- General knowledge of the English language
- Able to apply basic mathematics
- General computer knowledge, including data entry and word processing
- Able to perform reading skills
- Able to write comprehensive, legible sentences
- Able to communicate (speaking and listening) to members, customers and general public
- Able to present positive professional appearance during working hours
- Friendly/professional disposition
- Talking on telephone
- Speaking in public
- Presentation skills
- Operating computer
- Operating basic office equipment
- Planning and scheduling programs
- Calculating budgets
- Handling customer relations
- Working with volunteer committees
- Driving (must possess a valid driver’s license
The work environment within the office has a low to moderate noise level in a temperature-controlled building. Flexibility in changing tasks is required to be responsive to immediate member needs as they enter the office, call or email their requests. The position requires driving throughout the state of NJ and will spend considerable time outside the office meeting with members, schools, business entities, and/or attending events. Driving responsibilities include negotiating city, highway, rural and remote country roads year-round.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree at an accredited college or university, OR verifiable equivalent work experience
- Preferably 5 years working in the construction industry, and/or 5 years working in technical education field
- Experience in working with like-minded associations and agencies a plus
- Workforce development experience a plus
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.