Associated Builders and Contractors - National Office
||Director of Health and Safety
||In office (Washington D.C.)
||VP of HS&E and Workforce Development
TO APPLY: Click here to apply online.
ABC’s position descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s position descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Director of Health and Safety will be responsible to provide safety best practices and management products to our members (via development, acquisition, or identification). Promote world class safety management/science and represent ABC and member interests to regulatory, legislative and trade organizations and associations.
The Director of Health and Safety reports directly to the Vice-president of HS&E and Workforce Development and serves as part of the association team working in concert with other stakeholders internally and externally. This key position provides strategic thinking, data and information to the VP of HS&E and Workforce Development, and other units of the association as appropriate for policy development and decision-making purposes. This position is the primary contact for the association’s Health Safety and Environment strategic objectives will be required to represent ABC to media, external agencies, corporations, partnerships, and regional and national safety and workforce groups. This position requires a transformational industry leader who may not have experience in all facets of HS&E but has demonstrated their ability to grasp large complex efforts and transform a significant element of a business.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Lead and contribute to the development and deployment of the overall Health, Safety and Environment Strategy for ABC.
- Establish annual operating budgets, and lead direct reports, chapters and volunteer members to achieve strategic objectives.
- Facilitate multi-dimensional team (volunteers, strategic partners, chapter resources and a small core national staff) that will be creative and productive in developing strategies to support our membership in meeting the Health and Safety needs of the future.
- Professionally represent ABC in the areas of health safety and environment to external media sources, federal, state and local agencies and advisory councils, partners and regional safety and health groups.
- Collaborate with ABC’s Policy and Regulatory team to develop federal regulatory comments and chapter/member guidance related to safety and health.
- Provide expertise on compliance with federal, state, and local safety and health laws. Be an established subject matter expert that encourages various groups to support ABC’s Health Safety and Environment Plans and solicit input to improve these plans.
- Identify and lead the development of cutting-edge resources and training programs in collaboration with internal and external groups to full fill the Health and Safety Strategy.
- Oversee the planning, production, and publication of educational and marketing materials relative to health and safety working in harmony with internal resources.
- Assess programs and incorporate the outcomes to promote the advancement of the industry in accordance with the ABC Strategic Plan.
- Ensure that commitment to inclusion, diversity and equity is visible in all aspects of the association’s health and safety operations.
- Establish and collaborate with industry stakeholders and providers to ensure ABC has a voice throughout the construction industry and is seen as an industry leader in health and safety.
- Establish strong chapter/member relationships to understand the Health, Safety and Environment needs and challenges of the industry, chapters and members.
- Proven leadership and managerial experience with direct accountability for high technology, safety training and demonstrated success in the management/operations of customized solutions to business, industry, and the private sector.
- Possess highly developed analytical skills, writing and presentation skills, and ability to communicate with business/industry and educational management.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain diverse strategic alliances with governmental entities, businesses, and the community.
- Strong team building, interpersonal and communications skills necessary to lead in a complex organizational structure.
- High energy coupled with a positive attitude and the ability to build and lead teams towards successful collaborations.
- Public speaking ability, extensive organizational ability and attention to detail; statistical analysis; networking abilities, demonstrated use of computer and software knowledge (operating systems, webpage design, content development).
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree related to Environmental, Health and Safety at an accredited college or university.
- 5-10 years of working knowledge in all areas of health and safety administration.
- Association and construction industry experience a plus.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter highly organized.
- Coordination of projects, meetings and/or events a plus.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- Problem solver who can work both individually, and in a team, to reach a common goal
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision. Must be able to lift 30 lbs.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. Moderate noise levels, which are typical in an office environment with computers, printers, faxes, etc. Standing 15% of the time, walking 20% of the time, and sitting 65% of the time.
- 35%-40% travel required with average trip 1-3 days; at least 3 trips requiring stays of 4+ nights.