Employment at ABC and ABC Chapters
Return to Previous Page
Office Support Specialist
ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - NATIONAL OFFICE
||Office Support Specialist
to apply online.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 21,000 chapter members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 70 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its
members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Office Support Specialist will be responsible for managing the reception function of ABC, promoting office management support for the organization, and supporting the needs of the Director of Human Resources. The position will serve in a support role helping to ensure the office runs smoothly, and completes ad hoc project requests that come from throughout the organization. The reception function includes answering and directing incoming calls, greeting and instructing visitors, placing orders for the office, managing outlook calendars, picking up and distributing mail as needed using the postage machine and mailing services in a backup capacity to the Director of Facilities, ordering food for office functions, and other administrative duties. Project support can include various activities including online research, survey dissemination, and analysis. This role is ideal for someone who would like to learn about ABC and use the experience to move into another role inside the organization when positions open and the individual has demonstrated their capabilities.
Description of DutieS
• Answer and direct incoming calls and inquiries.
• Maintain telecommunication system by following instructions for house phone and console operation.
• Welcome visitors and guests by greeting them in person.
• Coordinate with the Director of HR on communication about the employee wellness program.
• Direct and give visitors instructions by referring to employee and department directories.
• Schedule appointments and utilize Outlook calendars.
• Manage the office conference room calendar and scheduling.
• Order food for office functions and assist with clean up when necessary.
• Manage the internal webinar process, including the webinar calendar, development of all webinar registration pages, support of webinar execution and uploading all webinar content onto the ABC academy site, in conjunction with the Director of Member Services.
• Be back-up support for setting up the conference room tables, chairs, and divider walls.
• Receive shipments and deliveries, and be able to address questions about the postage machine and mailing process.
• Pick up and sort mail when the Director of Facilities is unable, and ensure that checks are sent to the proper staff person for processing.
• Be familiar with the office evacuation plan and ensure all visitors and staff follow it.
• Order supplies like coffee, food, and beverages for staff meetings.
• Maintain data for the company recognition program.
• Research and gather information from databases and the internet.
• Generate various reports in excel.
• Project work as needed.
- Customer service experience.
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- A minimum of an Associates degree or equivalent experience.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of different people.
- Organizational awareness and resourcefulness with an understanding of whom to engage for resolving issues.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter and highly organized.
- Coordination of projects, meetings and/or events a plus.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.