ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - NATIONAL OFFICE
| POSITION TITLE
|| Director of National Craft Championships & Construction Workforce Awards
| FLSA STATUS
| FUNCTIONAL AREA / DEPARTMENT
|| Workforce Development
| REPORTING SUPERVISOR
|| VP of HS&E and Workforce Development
Click here to apply online.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members. ABC is a 501(c)6 trade association with affiliated organizations. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work, and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Director of National Craft Championships and Construction Workforce Awards will represent ABC National’s philosophy, policy positions, programs and services to both chapters and individual members, while promoting and celebrating skilled trades and careers in construction. The position will serve as the ABC National staff liaison to the National Craft Championships committee and as the liaison between ABC chapters, member committees, and outside resources in a workforce development subject matter expert capacity. The Director of National Craft Championships and Workforce Development Awards will provide a broad range of services that support ABC chapters and their members including special programs that promote construction trades and ensure the on-going growth and success of the National Craft Championships and Construction Workforce Development Awards. The Director of National Craft Championships will be responsible to oversee that the National Craft Championship competitions, tools and equipment reflect the industry and align the competitions with craft education, technology and work methods and processes. In this role they will be expected to be on-site as required to ensure the National Craft Championship and Workforce Development Awards are executed to the highest safety and performance standards.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
National Craft Championships
- Direct and serve as staff liaison and provide leadership to the National Craft Championships committee including but not limited to, identifying new NCC competitions, project manager requirement, providing annual metric associated with NCC competitors and competitions, identifying and leveraging opportunities to engage ABC Strategic Partners, developing new ideas on annual improvements to NCC, identifying and directing activities associated with school field trips during the competition and enhancing the attendees experience.
- Develop and manage annual operating budget for NCC.
- Provide budget input to the Workforce Development team regarding Construction Workforce Development Awards
- Identify and direct in-kind and cash sponsorships for NCC, CIOY and COPY with a focus on retention and increasing sponsorship.
- Actively engage with ABC strategic partners to explore opportunities to enhance our competitions.
- Ensure all necessary construction materials, awards, promotional items directly related to NCC are identified, procured, and expedited.
- Direct and work with the marketing and communications team to develop and update the National Craft Championships Handbook, Guidebook and Safety Manual, and promotional pieces and programs.
- Serve as primary contact for NCC (working with meetings team) with convention center and show general contractor.
- Direct all pre-NCC logistics and convention center activities, including floor plan design for NCC and exhibits, requirements such as security, electrical service, EMT services, fire marshal services, NCC decorations and trash/recycling needs.
- Direct outreach efforts with ABC chapters, potential NCC judges and volunteers.
- Direct all interim storage requirements and shipping of NCC competition materials.
- Direct all NCC activity onsite.
- Ensure a current inventory of all NCC materials and competition plans is accurate and maintained.
- Work directly with meetings team on site selection, including site visits and pre-conference meetings, and room and food and beverage requirements for NCC.
- Capture all data required from the National Craft Championships and Workforce Development Awards participants and winners
Outreach to Internal and External Audiences
- Serve as the public face of the NCC and CWA to chapters and members, which may include traveling to internal and external events to promote the programs.
- Serve as a backup staff liaison to the senior manager for the Trimmer Construction Education fund committee, Work with peer directors to engage with key stake holder organizations including but not limited to Skills USA, Ace Mentor, and NCCER. to ensure alignment and opportunities to partner.
- Direct and market the workforce awards programs. Serve as liaison for NCC, CIOY and COPY awards to the Construction Workforce Awards stake holders.
- Direct communications with chapter presidents and education directors regarding NCC competition and CIOY and CPOY awards.
- Work with marketing and communications staff to develop mass and targeted marketing to grow NCC participation and attendance.
- Direct all related NCC and awards activities in the registration process including but not limited to; design build out, registration support, and financial reconciliation.
- Ensure world class customer support to end users throughout the entirety of the cvent registration process.
- Develop annual goals, objectives, work plans and budgets for NCC.
- Supervise staff as assigned.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of chapter operations and relations
- Demonstrated working knowledge of training and development initiatives
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a broad range of staff and officials at all levels
- Organizational awareness and resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions and resolve issues
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree at an accredited college or university, or equivalent work experience.
- Association experience a plus.
- Five to 10 years of experience advising and assisting in the development of an organization in the training arena.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter, highly organized.
- Coordination of projects, meetings and/or events a plus
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem-solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- Travel up to 25 percent.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- This position based in the Washington, DC office of ABC to ensure full collaboration with ABC National Staff and Leadership.