Associated Builders and Contractors - National Office
||Chief Financial Officer
||President and CEO
ABC values the highest levels of personal and corporate standards of behavior characterized by responsibility, accountability and integrity, with demonstrated personal and industry professionalism by all participants.
ABC’s position descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s position descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor do they guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
TO APPLY: click here to apply online.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Chief Financial Officer is responsible for managing and directing the Accounting/Finance, Facilities and Risk Management functions at ABC and its affiliated organizations (ABCPAC, ABC Retirement and Savings Plan, Construction Legal Rights Foundation (CLRF), Trimmer Construction Education Fund (TCEF), and ABC Services Corp. (ABCSC)). He/she is the primary liaison to the Budget and Finance Committee and staff liaison to the ABC Retirement Committee. The CFO reports regularly to the boards of each of the entities related to their financial and operational performance. He/she serves as a transformational leader in designing and deploying a new financial framework for chapters and be the primary contact at ABC National for chapters regarding non-profit tax, accounting, and related issues. The CFO reports to the President and CEO and is a member of the Association’s Executive Management Team (EMT).
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Leadership and Vision:
- Work creatively and strategically with the EMT to ensure the Association works with purpose, vitality, and relevancy in financial services that are valued by ABC members, chapters, and the industry overall.
- Contribute to decisions on internal operations considered by EMT.
- Policy formulation - design investment, reserve, budgeting, 401k plan, and capital expansion policies for ultimate decision by board or respective committees.
- Planning - budgeting, long-term budget and capital planning, short-term planning based on current financial variances to budget.
- Decision authority - day-to-day operations of finance and facilities management departments.
- Budgetary responsibilities - direct responsibility for the finance and facilities functions. Total organization budget (ABC, CLRF, ABCSC, ABC 401k and ABCPAC) of approximately $25 million.
- Execute risk management strategies and ensure effective cybersecurity controls and policies are in place by collaborating with ABC’s Technology Department.
- Monitor ABC’s data privacy and protection practices to ensure organizational data and resources are protected from unauthorized and inappropriate use of access.
- Ensure ABC’s data privacy and protection strategy aligns / complies with international, national, and state data privacy regulations.
- Build an association-wide financial framework and oversee implementation and deployment at the Chapter level.
- Collaborate with chapter development committee for chapter reviews.
- Design and educate chapter leadership and volunteers on financial management and fiduciary responsibilities.
- Executive oversight of training actions to educate company stakeholders on compliance requirements.
- Oversee implementation of data processing agreements with pertinent vendors and partners.
Staff & Other Relationship Management responsibilities:
- Directly supervises the following positions: Director of Facilities, Controller, Assistant Controller, Accounting Manager, Senior Accountant, Payroll/Accounts Payable Specialist, and Finance Coordinator.
- Collaborate with ABC Technology Department with oversight of Cybersecurity framework consultants.
- Ensures ABC National staff compensation programs are administered within budget.
- As 401k plan trustee, directly oversee the external fiduciary consultants on 401k plan administration, policy implementation, and plan compliance.
- The C.FO will have important relationships with:
- Membership - works with chapter boards and staff on financial and information systems issues; participates on "chapter review" teams; prepares courses for association leaders on finance and non-profit issues.
- Governing structure - responsible for preparation of Treasurer's Reports and other financial reports for ABC Executive Committee and Board and for ABCSC, TEF, and CLRF boards. Staff liaison to Budget and Finance Committee. One of two national staff trustees on Staff Pension Committee and plan Fiduciary.
- Government - IRS, DOL (re: audit and tax issues), DC Gov’t
- Other - independent auditors, insurance agents/brokers, banks, investment advisors; real estate advisors; landlord, non-profit community
- Ability to think strategically and creatively and to demonstrate strong leadership skills within a multi-faceted association framework
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working collaboratively with top volunteer leadership
- Outstanding staff and project management skills
- Experience in planning and budgeting
- Experience in defined benefit plan administration and compliance
- Ability to multi-task across all areas of responsibility, working in a fast-paced environment, meeting deadlines
- Ability to align and track Support Services goals, objectives and initiatives with association’s strategic plan
Qualifications and Experience
- 10 years+ progressive finance and non-profit management experience.
- Experience with nonprofit accounting, taxes, and financial statements.
- CPA required; MBA desired.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Success in leading, mentoring, and developing high performing teams.
- Ability for overnight travel (up to 35%) by land and/or air.
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines
- Organizational awareness & resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, database management, electronic mail, spreadsheets, etc.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the Chief Financial Officer, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Travel up to 35% related to chapter financial framework reviews / assists, board meetings, executive committee meetings, conventions, and other leadership events.