Associated Builders and Contractors - National Office
ABC values the highest levels of personal and corporate standards of behavior characterized by responsibility, accountability and integrity, with demonstrated personal and industry professionalism by all participants.
||VP of Regulatory, Labor, & State Affairs
ABC’s position descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s position descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor do they guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
PLEASE Apply HERE:
TO APPLY: click here to apply online
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing nearly 21,000 chapter members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 70 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically, profitably and for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. Visit us at www.abc.org.
The Grassroots Coordinator position could also be called the Grassroots Storyteller. ABC needs a motivated and creative person that informs the ABC community and inspires to take action. This person will facilitate ABC’s efforts with respect to the successful implementation of a national grassroots operation, focused on member and employee engagement in the political process with local, state and federal lawmakers. The position will implement a hands-on plan to facilitate the development of effective grassroots activities and assists with outreach when ABC needs to convey important messages to ABC chapters, member companies, and their employees.
Description of Duties
• Works directly with ABC chapters and other ABC National staff to increase member grassroots engagement, collect compelling member stories that would draw positive attention to ABC issues, and highlight the value proposition for ABC members with respect to grassroots involvement.
• Executes action alerts to federal lawmakers and officials at request of ABC National government affairs team.
• Manages action alerts targeting state and local lawmakers and political activities in coordination with ABC chapters.
• Assists ABC National government affairs team facilitating, tracking and promoting lawmaker visits to ABC events and ABC member job sites.
• Works directly with ABC chapters and ABC stakeholders to increase the number of ABC Action App downloads/participants.
• Manages ABC Action App developer/vendor to update App at appropriate junctures and troubleshoot user experience.
• Administers ABC’s annual Grassroots Awards program for ABC chapters.
• Writes occasional articles for ABC and industry publications and letters to Congress and elected officials on behalf of ABC stakeholders.
• Assists other ABC National government affairs staff with maintaining, vetting and populating ABC’s advocacy-related social media outlets and providing integrity, timeliness and consistency of the ABC advocacy message.
• Occasionally travels to member firms and joins ABC member executives in directly engaging their employees in grassroots discussions.
• The position will require travel to ABC and industry events (approximately 10 percent of the incumbent’s time).
Ability to shoot edit and conceptualize multi-platform video content informing ABC chapters and stakeholders about events, activities and late-breaking construction issues on Capitol Hill and state legislatures a plus.
Qualifications & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in related field at an accredited college or university
• 1-3 years in government affairs setting with at least one year of work experience in one of the following areas; grassroots, digital advocacy, construction industry, small business, associations, state legislative process, public relations
• Background in video and online media a plus
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
• Professional demeanor and presentation of self
• Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines
• Excellent oral and written communication, proofreading and editing skills.
• Organizational awareness & resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues
• Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding work schedule.
• Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
• Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues
• Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
• Work accurately with close attention to detail.
It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.