Posted on Friday, February 26, 2021 9:52 AM By Jennifer Huber
ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - Metro Washington chapter OFFICE
||Director of Events and Management Education
||Administrative Assistant (shared)
TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter including salary requirements and resume to [email protected].
Responsible for directing and managing a significant non-dues revenue program that includes delivering networking functions, special events, and educational programs to ABC members and the industry.
Collaborates with association volunteers and other staff members to deliver quality programming that brings value to and meets the needs of the construction industry.
Manages profit and loss, budget, and operations and is responsible for the management, development, and administrative efficiency of support staff.
Staff Liaison to:
- Programs Committee
- Management Education Committee
- Golf Outing Committee
- Excellence in Construction Awards (and ad hoc special events)
- Leadership Development Program
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Direct ABC’s non-dues revenue activities:
- Develop and deliver industry-leading events and management education classes.
- Maintain close dialogue with member companies to understand their needs and align ABC’s offerings.
- Produce an annual plan that addresses members’ training and business development needs and achieves ABC’s financial goals.
- Direct the full life cycle of each program including venue and other contract negotiations; event registration; billing; materials preparation; onsite event management; and post-event evaluations, analysis, and close-out.
- Participate in the development and implementation of marketing strategies designed to promote, support and/or grow event and educational offerings and attendance.
- Effectively utilize technology to deliver services virtually when/if needed or requested.
- Promote the association’s programs in a positive and professional manner to members and other stakeholders.
B. General management and oversight of operations and finance:
- Prepare and manage annual budgets and regularly provide benchmarking, status and forecasting reports.
- Develop annual sponsorship packages and solicit donors for support.
- Create database records for all activities, tracking registration, payments, and outstanding invoices. Work with Controller on accounts receivable.
- Understand and manage billings and, when required, collections processes.
- Negotiate and review contracts before bringing to President for approval.
- Ensure compliance with all negotiated contracts for vendor/venue services.
- Recruit, develop, supervise, and evaluate support staff.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Programs, Management Education and Golf Outing Committees:
- Establish a clear understanding of the committees’ purpose and role in serving ABC members and the industry.
- Ensure that all record keeping of the committees is accurate and timely, including working with committee chairpersons in the preparation of meeting agendas and writing meeting minutes.
- Standard staff responsibilities:
- Pursue and maintain personal contact with members, including member visits whenever possible.
- Represent the association at functions, which could necessitate hours beyond the normal business day.
- Ancillary Responsibilities:
- Attend ABC’s monthly events and other chapter meetings and events as directed.
- Attend and participate in ABC National conferences, when/if assigned.
- Perform other business duties as assigned by the President.
- Chapter staff: Maintain a professional and collaborative relationship with other staff members that helps the Association achieve its goals and ensures a productive, collegial work environment.
- Chapter committees: Maintain a professional and ethical relationship that helps committees achieve their goals to the extent that staff and financial resources allow.
- Committee chairs: Establish and maintain rapport with committee chairs to ensure a smooth and productive working relationship.
- General membership: Respond professionally and promptly to inquiries or requests for help from members. Requests for services or assistance outside of the departments’ resources should be referred to the appropriate department or the President.
- Vendors: Maintain a professional and ethical relationship with those vendors that provide quality services and/or products, and competitive pricing, to ABC.
Minimum Requirements/Performance Standards:
- Excellent organizational, logistical and financial management skills.
- Strategic and long-term planning capabilities.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and database management.
- Proficiency in negotiating contracts.
- Proficiency in using virtual platforms (e.g., Zoom, Teams, Airmeet).
- In-depth knowledge of the English language and grammar, including the ability to write comprehensive, legible sentences, correspondence, and other written communications.
- Excellent reading comprehension skills.
- Able to communicate (speaking and listening) to members, customers, and the general public.
- Experience with managing and developing people.
- World-class customer service experience and skills.
- Highly professional and able to work well with staff members, volunteers, instructors and the public.
- Professional appearance during working hours and business functions.
- Planning and managing business and personal schedules
- Preparing and managing budgets and financial transactions
- Handling customer relations
- Working with volunteers and committees
- Talking on telephone
- Speaking in public
- Operating computer
- Operating basic office equipment
The work environment within the office has a low to moderate noise level in a temperature-controlled building. Flexibility in changing tasks is required in order to be responsive to immediate member needs as they enter the office, call, or email their requests. The position requires driving in the local area and moderate amounts of time outside of the office attending meetings and/or events. Driving responsibilities include negotiating city, highway, and suburban roads year-round.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience
- Association or meeting planning background preferred.
- Construction experience/background helpful
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Posted on Wednesday, February 10, 2021 7:35 AM By Jennifer Huber
ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - Metro Washington chapter OFFICE
||Training Academy Manager
||Director of Education
||Director of Education; Chapter President
TO APPLY: Submit resume to Bonnie Speedy, [email protected].
SCOPE: Manage the Instructor cadre and day-to-day operations of the Training Academy. Manage the training facility and coordinate apprenticeship, craft training, and other educational activities. Recruit, train, evaluate and coach instructors. Work with the Education Director to develop and implement strategies to grow the Academy and ensure high quality of instruction.
- Manage the Instructor cadre and day-to-day operations of the Training Academy. Recruit, train, evaluate and coach instructors including appropriate levels of direct monitoring of instruction for both on- and off-site trainings.
- Serve as a liaison to NCCER and obtain/hold NCCER master trainer certification.
- Create and manage the schedule and online listing of classes to include apprentice, craft, safety and specialty/selective programs.
- Financial duties (i.e. track and validate receipts and invoices; assist Director with budget development, etc.).
- Administer student discipline and handle attendance problems and safety matters.
- Work with Director of Workforce Development in workforce development activity and counsel students on educational, vocational or professional matters as appropriate.
- Serve as on-site liaison to instructors and students to solve problems, coordinate material needs, etc.
- Using NCCER curriculum, adult learning principles, feedback from businesses and students using the Academy, develop and coordinate exceptional trainings that comply with all appropriate standards and regulations.
- Research new training techniques and evaluate effectiveness of current training through a variety of methods including personal observation and feedback from students and member businesses.
- Coordinate and conduct student and instructor info sessions and orientations.
- Update and maintain guidebooks for students, instructors and employees.
- Conduct advance placement exams.
- Oversee inventory of textbooks, materials, and instructor supplies and utilize effective strategies to control cost and waste.
- Oversee facilities management activities:
- security (includes monitoring cameras and access control)
- supplies and equipment maintenance
- building maintenance, housekeeping and organization
- waste removal (cans and dumpster)
- Provide exceptional member services in a professional manner.
- Network to promote Academy offerings and assist with registration and/or other duties as assigned at all ABC functions, including -- but not limited to -- monthly general membership meetings, annual golf outing, staff mailings and special events.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Operates under supervision of Director of Education and is expected to perform all tasks related to the position’s basic functions with minimal direct supervision.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- 3+ years in training/education and/or management-level experience. Management experience preferred in construction-related management. Experience in adult education programs and/or apprenticeships also preferable.
- B.A./B.S. degree in education, a construction-related field, industrial arts, engineering, chemistry, General Business or Human Resources or similar field from an accredited post-secondary institution.
- Willingness and ability to qualify and immediately obtain a NCCER Master Trainer Certification.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and be strategically focused while handling varied day-to-day tasks and issues.
- Strong team player
- Must be a highly competent self-starter.
- Knowledge of the construction industry required, direct experience in the broad construction, maintenance, or engineering or related fields a plus.
- Strong leadership capabilities and ability to manage others (recruit, hire, train, evaluate, mentor, etc).
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well with a variety of individuals including students, staff members, ABC members, volunteers and public.
- Demonstrated and strong problem solving and decision-making skills
- Exceptional customer service skills to fulfill great customer service expectations for external clientele of many types and internal personnel
- Skilled at both project management and time management, detailed oriented and organized to handle varying and needed administrative detail.
- Adaptable with task-oriented flexibility and able to “change gears.”
- Financial skills to maintain a budget and handle financial records
- Proficient in MS Office and database management