Monday, May 22, 2023 6:07 AM
Associated Builders and Contractors - National Office
||Cheif Financial Officer
TO APPLY: Click here to apply.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 69 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work.
The Controller will be responsible for overall management of the Accounting/Finance Department. The Department is responsible for accounting for and recording all financial transactions of ABC National and its affiliated entities, as well as preparation of financial statements, tax filings and various financial reporting. The entities supported include Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. (a 501(c)6 trade association with $20m in revenue), the ABC Services Corporation (a for profit subsidiary of ABC which houses a magazine), a Political Action Committee, and the Construction Legal Rights Foundation (a 501(c)6 foundation that supports legal cases and advocacy efforts impacting ABC’s members).
- Supports CFO needs related to Treasurer, Budget and Finance Committee, chapters, government agencies, and other third parties.
- Provides technical accounting and applications software expertise for all aspects of the business and in response to needs of all entities. This includes the oversight and administration of Bill.com, Dynamics Business Central (currently Sage Intacct) and the upcoming implementation of an expense reporting tool.
- Leads and mentors 5 staff to oversee all aspects of accounting/finance (including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, bank reconciliations, investment reconciliations, journal entries and month end/year end close) plus provides ad hoc support to the accountant who supports a separate entity, the ABC Insurance Trust. Interacts daily with financial staff, supervising and reviewing work.
- Produces monthly and other special financial reports, government filings, etc.
- Consults with other departments as needed on accounting issues – specifically Insurance Trust, Human Resources, ABC Services Corp., CLRF, and ABC PAC.
- Develops internal control guidelines and updates policies and procedures for the Finance Department as needed.
- Prepares for and coordinates annual financial audits of all entities and any audits required by outside agencies such as IRS.
- Responds to staff requests for financial information and reports. Supports the annual budgeting process and quarterly forecast process.
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll in Paylocity.
- Reviews and approves all disbursements to ensure accuracy and adherence to company policy
- Interacts with all vendors related to finances including banks, credit card companies, auditors/tax accountants, financial software vendor, etc.
- Advises on financial analysis and decision-making regarding capital investments, pricing, contract negotiations, significant costs, benchmarks, and other matters with CFO.
- Perform cash projections to effectively manage cash balances and maximize the return on any excess cash balances.
- Supervises, manages, and directs the selection, training, development and appraisal of Finance Department personnel.
- Assists CFO with additional projects as needed.
- Seven years or more related experience, preferably as a controller in a non-profit organization. At least 5 years’ experience supervising staff.
- Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university with a background in finance or accounting.
- Strong leadership skills and capable thinker/decision maker.
- Organizational awareness & resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. Able to manage multiple-tasks at once and work across departments to achieve shared goals; thrives in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Must have expertise in Excel and accounting software. Detail-oriented and able to produce organized and accurate materials quickly.
- Self-starter, highly organized.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Sage Intacct and/or Microsoft Business Central (Great Plains).
- Proficiency with Solver BI360 or other financial report writing software.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Read the rest of entry »
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.