Associated Builders and Contractors - National Office
||Regulatory and State Affairs Assistant
||Senior Director of Policy
TO APPLY: Click here to apply.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Associated Builders and Contractors is a national construction industry trade association representing more than 21,000 members. Founded on the merit shop philosophy, ABC and its 68 chapters help members develop people, win work and deliver that work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which ABC and its members work. ABC’s membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors. Visit us at abc.org.
The Regulatory and State Affairs Assistant will report directly to the Senior Director of Policy, Government Affairs. The assistant is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Construction Legal Rights Foundation and assisting with ABC National’s state and local government affairs program as well as federal regulatory rulemakings. The assistant will have significant contact with CLRF trustees, attorneys and ABC chapter staff and members nationwide.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Serve as the day-to-day administrator of CLRF.
- Coordinate and assist in preparing CLRF meetings and conference calls.
- Help chapter staff and ABC members and/or their attorneys understand and comply with CLRF procedures.
- Manage and coordinate legal and issue advocacy campaign applications for CLRF funding.
- Review, monitor and coordinate payment of expenses authorized and funded by CLRF for individual legal cases and issue advocacy campaigns.
- Coordinate and assist as necessary in preparing CLRF’s management and financial reports to trustees.
- Assist with ABC’s state and local government affairs and labor relations activities.
- Address state and local affairs customer service requests from ABC members and chapter staff related to core ABC issues.
- Support ABC National and chapter staff efforts and campaigns in support of key issues.
- Maintain content of relevant ABC National government affairs websites.
- Monitor and research federal regulatory issues.
- Assist with ABC’s annual Legal Conference.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- One year of work experience and familiarity with state and local affairs and federal regulatory process.
- Excellent customer service skills.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Strong writing and verbal skills.
- Self-starter, highly organized.
- Ability to coordinate projects, meetings and/or events a plus.
- Strong organizational, multitasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding, self-directed work schedule.
- Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem-solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Work accurately with close attention to detail.
- It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or executive orders. ABC is an equal opportunity employer.
- ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
- While performing the responsibilities of the position, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.