ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - Southern Califonia CHAPTER OFFICE
||Membership Development Manager
||Los Angeles, CA
||Director of Membership Development
TO APPLY: Please submit resume to [email protected].
The Membership Development Manager – Los Angeles is the face of a merit-shop trade association in the region. This position develops and coordinates aspects of member recruitment, involvement and retention as it relates to membership growth strategies for ABC Southern California Chapter according to membership goals identified by the Chapter Board of Directors and Membership Committee.
The ideal candidate for this position should have a spirit of professional entrepreneurship with the ability to ‘see the big picture’ and bring it to reality. This individual will have a ready smile, warm confidence, approachable demeanor, and be able to plan their work and then execute it according to the goals of the association.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Conduct ongoing program to market association membership to contractors, suppliers, and associates/industry professionals in the greater Los Angeles and Ventura areas
- Create, identify, and qualify new member prospect list
- Understand Los Angeles and Ventura county construction demographics, such as public works, business development and geographic region, that drives membership growth
- Meet with prospective members and existing members in-person, attend industry related trade shows, various chamber functions and mixers, conferences and other events on a regular basis for the recruitment of contractors
- Create a pre-event, on-site and post event sales plan, including systematic follow up with potential members
- Contact, schedule, and conduct prospect sales calls, meetings and events, coordinating with other Chapter staff as appropriate
- Lead new member orientations to ensure that members get immediate value based on their expressed need and that they are educated on the benefits of membership, and guided to engage in events and offerings
- Oversight and responsibility for accurate reporting of prospective member reports, marketing opportunities, and membership metrics
- Understand what is required to be a general or specialty contractor in Los Angeles and Ventura counties and how to sell the utilization of the association’s services as a value add to their business.
- Develop and conduct ongoing process that informs, educates, engages, and reinforces the association’s value proposition in order to retain current members year-over-year.
- Identify “at risk” members and develop strategies to drive retention to these members
- Collaborate all association departments and staff to ensure that members using these programs renew for compliance purposes
- Attend and promote the Association’s events to members and prospects to help increase event attendance
- Promote the use of all chapter and ABC National Services, including apprenticeship and craft training programs, award and safety programs, and insurance and discount programs
- Attain budget levels of retention and new member growth annually to achieve net member growth and meet National goals
- Serve as a staff liaison to the Membership Committee in the development and implementation of the Chapter’s membership growth plan: draft agendas, send meeting notices, track attendance and action items, attend meetings, and take and distribute minutes
- Establish and foster a professional working relationship with appropriate external partner organizations
- Assist with Chapter activities and other duties as necessary and assigned
- Organized with effective time management skills
- Self-motivated and administratively self-maintaining
- Consultative sales techniques and demonstrated ability to close business deals
- Prior experience and / or understanding of association management and not for profit organizations
- Demonstrable capability for strategic thinking and general business understanding
- Bachelor’s degree with a concentration in Marketing and/or Business Management
- Five years external sales experience or three years within ABC
- Proven track record of sales success required. Must excel at meeting and talking with prospective members, building rapport with prospective and existing members, and closing in a professional manner
- Strong ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Energetic, positive, professional, and self-motivated personality with effective oral and written communication skills required
- Strong technical literacy, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Power point
- Diplomatic team player able to foster relationships with members, employee partners, and other community leaders
- Creativity and attention to detail
- Must possess a passion for providing high quality member service and commitment to exceeding expectations
- Valid CA Driver's License, vehicle, and insurance
- Extensive knowledge of the Southern California construction industry
The preceding functions have been provided examples of the types of work performed by employees assigned to this job classification. Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments and to make reasonable accommodations as needed. This position is classified as exempt meaning more than 50% of the employee’s time is spent performing exempt job duties consistent with this job description. If the employee finds the actual job duties change from those described herein so the employee is not performing exempt duties more than 50% of the time, the employee must immediately inform management.
It is the continuing policy of ABC, Southern California Chapter to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age (40 or older), genetic information, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC, Southern California Chapter is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ADA: ABC Southern California Chapter will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and any relevant state law.
While performing the responsibilities the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This position is performed in a typical office environment. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and vehicles. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
ABC’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC’s Position Descriptions do not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC may add, change, delete, suspend or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.