ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - CAROLINAS CHAPTER OFFICE
||Board of Directors
To apply: send resume to [email protected].
About Associated Builders and Contractors
Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national association that, through its 68 chapters represents 22,000 merit shop construction and construction related firms that employ nearly two million workers. ABC's membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry.
As the face and voice of the construction industry, ABC represents its members ‐ many of whom are small business entrepreneurs ‐ before the legislative, executive and judicial branches of the federal government and with state and local governments, as well as with the news media. ABC's mission is the advancement of the merit shop construction philosophy, which encourages open competition and a free‐enterprise approach that awards contracts based solely on merit, regardless of labor affiliation.
ABC's activities include government representation, legal advocacy, education, workforce development, communications, technology, recognition through national and chapter awards programs, employee benefits, information on best practices and business development through an online contractor search directory.
ABC was founded in 1950 when seven contractors gathered in Baltimore, Md. to create an association based on the shared belief that construction projects should be awarded on merit to the most qualified and responsible low bidders. Their courage and dedication to the merit shop philosophy spread rapidly, and within time, ABC became the fastest‐growing association in the United States.
Today, ABC is recognized as one of the leading organizations representing America's business community and the merit shop construction industry but represents less than 11% of its target market. A key current initiative is to identify strategies that will ultimately double ABC membership.
The Vision of ABC is an environment in which people and companies succeed based on free‐enterprise principles within the free‐market system.
ABC will continually strive to be the leading voice promoting free enterprise within the construction industry. ABC will promote and defend the merit shop philosophy. This philosophy encourages open competition and a free‐enterprise approach to construction based solely on merit, regardless of labor affiliation.
ABC values economic freedom within a free‐market economy, with open and fair competition and diverse participants constantly striving to achieve the highest levels of personal and company performance.
ABC values the highest levels of personal and corporate standards of behavior characterized by responsibility, accountability and integrity, with demonstrated personal and industry professionalism by all participants.
The Core Purpose of ABC is to advance and defend the principles of the merit shop in the construction industry and to provide members and their employees with an opportunity to succeed.
Based on the merit shop philosophy we help our members develop people, win work and deliver work safely, ethically and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which they work.
Every year, the ABC creates a 5‐year association wide plan. This strategic plan is the framework for the association overall and is the blueprint for advancement of the Merit Shop Philosophy. The plan is essentially an execution strategy of the association’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and Core Purpose. The plan is created by the collective volunteer and staff leadership from its National operation and 68 Chapters across the USA and informs strategic action for the entire organization.
The framework is captured below and measured via a balanced scorecard presented at each of the three Association Board of Directors meetings held throughout the year.
About ABC of the Carolinas
The chapter represents more than 450 member companies across an expansive two‐state North and South Carolina area. The chapter was chartered in 1998 and has grown steadily over the past two decades. There is great opportunity for growth as the chapter is currently at less 10 percent of market share. Operations and services are provided through a council structure under the chapter board of directors. The Chapter currently has seven councils in the Carolinas. As CEO there is regular collaboration and in person activity with each of the councils given their impact on the development and execution of strategy, programs and services within the chapter. Staff is in key areas in the two states.
The Chapter completed a strategic planning process in 2020 and developed a strategic plan through 2025.
ABC of the Carolinas Strategic Goals
- Workforce Development– Be the leading force in the construction industry for Workforce Development and Training in the Carolinas.
- Political Advocacy – Increase the political influence of ABC to advance the Merit Shop philosophy and Free Enterprise in the Carolinas and Nationally.
- Health and Safety – Establish ABC’s Members as the benchmark for health and safety in the construction industry in the Carolinas.
- Membership Growth & Engagement– To continuously grow and deliver value to a diverse and committed membership.
- Carolinas Chapter Development‐ To make the ABC Carolinas Chapter the “Construction Association of Choice” in the Carolinas.
The ABC President and CEO works with the board to set the association's strategic direction and then builds/leads the ABC team to execute against that plan. He/she is responsible for developing and building consensus around policies, programs and activities designed to serve the needs of a diverse, chapter membership and for ensuring that the organization is run in an effective, ethical and financially responsible manner. He/she is also accountable for energetically engaging membership to retain current and attract/recruit new ABC members. This position includes regular travel throughout the two‐state area as well as attendance at National meetings four times per year at various locations throughout the US.
BASIC FUNCTION: The President & CEO is responsible for all issues affecting chapter operations, its staff, Board of Directors and member services.
RESPONSIBLE TO: ABC of the Carolinas Board of Directors
SUPERVISES: The President & CEO oversees all personnel and their performance.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The President & CEO is responsible for the overall leadership and administration of the association. This includes the assessing of member needs, developing programs to meet these needs and conducting these programs in a strategic manner.
1. Human Resources
- The President & CEO is responsible for the hiring and dismissal of all personnel and performance of same.
- The President & CEO is responsible for enforcing and carrying out all policies and procedures as outlined in the HR policy manual.
2. Budget & Financial Management
- The President & CEO is responsible for preparing the annual budget with the Budget and Finance Committee and obtaining approvals from the Board of Directors.
- The budget is established to fund the day to day operations and resource the strategic plan of the Chapter.
- The President & CEO is responsible for managing any accounting staff as well as working with the contracted CPA firms regarding regular financial bookkeeping and oversight of accountingpractices, reconciliations and annual review / audit.
- The President & CEO is responsible for managing the maintenance of all necessary record keeping activities & requirements, including all monthly reporting and tax requirement filings.
- The President & CEO is responsible for enforcing and carrying out all the fiscal policies and procedures.
3. Board of Directors
- The President & CEO serves the Chairman and the Board of Directors and is responsible for carrying out the actions of the same.
- The President & CEO is responsible for maintaining and preparing all information for the Board of Directors meetings.
- The President & CEO is responsible for carrying out the Strategic Plan as developed and approved by the Board of Directors.
- The President & CEO is responsible for following the bylaws and policies of the national association, the chapter and the laws of the United States and the Carolinas.
- Work collaboratively with ABC National staff and other chapters to advance the chapter and national goals.
4. Planning & Strategy
- The President and CEO is responsible for leading the effort and working collaboratively with the Board of Directors to create a strategic plan for the Chapter on an annual basis in alignment with the overall ABC Association Wide Strategic Plan.
- The President & CEO is responsible for carrying out the strategies and action plans of the Strategic Plan in collaboration with the Board of Directors and the Chapter Committees
- The President & CEO is responsible for maintaining, measuring & reporting to the Board of Directors and Membership the progress against the Strategic Plan.
5. Workforce Development
- Work with the Director of Workforce Development and various committees and councils to meet the education and training needs of the membership.
- Direct and oversee the Director of Workforce Development and the entire workforce Development initiatives.
- Direct and oversee staff to carry out the strategies and action plans of the Strategic Plan as it relates to the initiatives in Workforce Development.
- Work with the Director of Events and Member Relations and the Regional Directors and other membership staff and various committees and councils to meet the needs of the membership.
- Direct and oversee the Director of Events and Members Relations and Directors of Membership to promote growth and retention through member programs.
- Direct and oversee Membership staff to carry out the strategies and action plans of the Strategic Plan.
7. Marketing/Business Development
- President & CEO is the primary “face” and chief spokesperson for the association as its representative. The President & CEO needs to work with the current Chairman in representing ABC.
- President & CEO is responsible for promoting and getting ABC’s name out “When you think construction, you think ABC.”
8. Legislative Action
- Work with the Director of Government Affairs and Membership Directors and various committees to meet the needs of the membership.
- President & CEO is responsible for working with the Legislative Committee and carrying for the goals and objectives of the committee and the strategic plan.
- Prepared to act on old ABC saying, “Get into politics of get out of business.”
CANDIDATE SPECIFICATION: KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
- Passion for the free enterprise system and merit shop philosophy.
- At least 10 years of leadership, management and decision‐making experience with direct accountability for results at the executive level, with a budget and staff of comparable size and complexity to that of ABC.
- Experience building consensus among disparate groups and volunteer leaders with varied and often competing interests.
- Experience in engaging, delegating & motivating both staff and volunteers in the execution & implementation of association plans, activities, events.
- Experience serving as a politically savvy face and voice of an industry or group at the state or national level; a skilled and strategic spokesperson and advocate on public policy issues and with the media.
- While experience in the construction industry is not a requirement, knowledge of, or the ability to quickly become substantively credible on, the construction industry and the issues affecting it is important.
Critical Competencies for Success
Strategic Visionary: He/she will be an executive who will tell the merit shop industry's story in a credible and passionate way that enhances the business climate and adds value to ABC's members. The President and CEO will be experienced at anticipating issues and building consensus around policy positions; be an active listener who, in a collaborative but aggressive fashion, cultivates and leverages a network of relationships to advance the industry's agenda. The President and CEO will guide the board to balance long‐term strategic thinking with short‐term goals. The President and CEO will work collaboratively with the national association leadership in the alignment of strategy with the ABC Association Wide Plan.
Leadership and Management: ABC's next President and CEO will work with the management team and Board to ensure the association's continued operational strength. He/she will demonstrate a transparent and inclusive style; build consensus around key issues and initiatives despite differing member perspectives; and, promote a culture of passion and urgency among the staff. The President and CEO will help lead ABC to be the most powerful pro‐business, pro‐free enterprise advocate for the construction industry and lead the association to consistently deliver value to its members and the construction industry.
Other Personal Characteristics
- Exceptional communications skills and listening ability
- High energy: Someone who approaches challenges with optimism and vigor
- Highest levels of integrity, ethics and honesty
- Collaborative, synergistic and interdependent
- Ability to market, attract and recruit as members individuals/firms on themerits of the Association individually and through staff