Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is seeking a Vice President of Human Resources who will play an integral role in building organizational capacity and improving the Human Resources function. In partnership with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and executive leadership team (ELT), the Vice President will lead and be accountable for the entire HR function across the organization in support of the advancement of ABC’s mission and strategic goals.
About Our Organization
Founded in 1950, ABC is a national association with 68 chapters representing more than 21,000 merit shop construction and construction-related firms. ABC’s membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry.
At ABC, we all share a primary purpose to advance the merit shop construction philosophy, which encourages open competition and a free‐enterprise approach that awards contracts based solely on merit, regardless of labor affiliation.
In addition to this primary purpose, our objectives include leading the industry in safety and total human health, developing the workforce of the future, helping workers achieve their career dreams, building trust in the industry brand/image with the public, and being the expert construction industry go to resource.
Our contractor members are top performers delivering long lasting projects which showcase excellence in construction. Based on the merit shop philosophy, ABC helps its members develop their people, win work, and deliver that work safely, ethically, and profitably for the betterment of the communities in which they work.
ABC’s activities include:
- Government Representation
- Legal Advocacy
- Workforce Development
- Employee benefits
- Information on best practices
- Business Development through an online contractor search directory
- Recognition through national and chapter awards
Headquartered in Washington, DC, ABC advances its mission and work with a 90-person staff.
About the Position
The Vice President of Human Resources (VPHR) is a new position on ABC’s executive leadership team and reports to the CEO. In addition to leading the human resources function for ABC, the VPHR also supports the staff and leadership of ABC Insurance Trust (the Trust), a separate entity that provides employee benefits, plans, and services to ABC and its member companies and chapters. The Trust has a shared services agreement with ABC that includes technology, facilities rental, and human resources support. ABC’s human resources functions are currently being managed through an agreement with a managed human resources practice. The new VPHR will have the opportunity to develop the human resources team at ABC.
The VPHR is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of workplace culture, talent acquisition and management, change management, organizational and performance management, training and development, succession planning, and compensation. The VPHR provides strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and plans to the CEO and the ELT.
Business Partner & HR Leader
- Ensure human resources initiatives align with organization goals, values, and business needs by working closely with the chief executive and department leads.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate human resources initiatives and processes that effectively communicate and support the organization’s mission, strategic vision, and commitment that our employees are our most valuable asset.
- Manage relationships with external stakeholders and vendors to ensure quality and timely delivery of services.
- Act as strategic advisor to executive leadership team to support key organizational and management issues.
- Remain alert to best human resources practices; identify and implement improvements or changes to enhance the overall employee experience.
- Ensure the organization adheres to applicable laws and regulations and conduct periodic compliance reviews of human resources processes.
- Provide leadership and direction to promote a positive work environment founded on core values and ethics and in accordance with the organization’s objectives, principles, and best practices.
- Sustain a team environment and culture, ensuring that work planning and staff life cycle processes support employee wellness, growth, and satisfaction and are compliant with applicable employment practices and organizational policies.
- Advise, guide, and support staff in people and culture related functions and serve as principal advisor to senior leadership to develop and implement strategic people policy and processes.
- Lead the function by role modeling and supporting organizational values and norms.
- Promote a diverse culture and workforce that establish the ability to attract and retain the brightest talent in the industry.
- Position and promote ABC as the employer of choice for the industry and foster an environment where employees can succeed within the merit shop philosophy.
- Lead efforts to identify, recruit, and retain skilled, passionate individuals whose values and work ethic align with that of the organization.
- Develop and implement hiring, onboarding, and retention policies and practices that promote consistency, fairness, and equity; attract talented employees from diverse backgrounds; support hiring managers; and contribute to employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Oversee the organization’s performance management process, providing training annually and coaching employees and managers as needed.
- Manage ABC’s partnership with the Franklin Covey Performance Management system and philosophy, including overseeing in-person and on-demand learning; serving as a model, coach, and resource to employees for the content; and serve as the main point of contact with Franklin Covey.
Experience and Attributes
Successful candidates for this position will bring a variety of experiences and attributes to ABC and the Trust, including:
- Minimum of 10 years in human resources, with at least three years in a lead HR role and 5+ years’ experience in a supervisory role
- Strong HR Generalist experience across the full employee life cycle
- Experience leading at a strategic level and partnering with organization’s executives
- Experience leading positive culture shifts, developing processes, and managing change
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills with solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills; ability to inspire others
- Thorough and current knowledge of employment law compliance matters
- Significant experience and comfort with human resources information systems; experience with Paylocity payroll, applicant tracking, and HRIS platform a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, social sciences, business administration or a related field is preferred. Master’s degree in a related field is desired.
- Human resources certification highly desired.
Compensation & Working Environment
This exempt, executive-level leadership position has a base salary plus bonus compensation structure with initial compensation between $180k - $200k, dependent upon experience and qualifications. ABC offers a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance, a retirement plan with an employer contribution, and generous paid time off. This position is based in ABC’s Washington, DC office.
To apply, upload a Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF resume and cover letter, which conveys your interest in this leadership opportunity, to our portal. Contact Adrienne O’Rourke at [email protected] for other inquiries. Resume reviews begin immediately.
It is the continuing policy of ABC to take affirmative action to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
If you are a candidate with a disability, please email [email protected] if you require an accommodation to complete your application.
About Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group
Marcum’s Nonprofit & Social Sector Group is working with ABC to advance the search. Our group is a mission-driven professional services firm seeking to do more for nonprofits and socially conscious organizations. Learn more about our work at Marcum Nonprofit & Social Sector.