ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS - ROCKY MOUNTAIN CHAPTER OFFICE
||Chair, ABC Rocky Mountain Chapter
To apply: send resume to [email protected].
The President and CEO is the leader for innovative construction industry solutions in Colorado and Wyoming. The President/CEO is responsible for the management of the organization’s resources, including personnel, finances, and programs to ensure the organization meets its mission and goals. The position requires a strong background in business operations, financial management and program management. The President/CEO must possess excellent leadership and communication skills and be able to work effectively with diverse stakeholders. A passion for the organization’s mission and a commitment to the merit shop philosophy are essential.
ABC Rocky Mountain’s Position Descriptions are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the incumbent(s) of this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required of the position. ABC Rocky Mountain’s Position Descriptions does not create a contract, express or imply, or other legal rights between ABC Rocky Mountain and any staff member, nor guarantee employment or specific duties for any specific duration. ABC Rocky Mountain may add, change, delete, suspend, or discontinue any of these positions and descriptions at any time without prior notice.
Founded in 1950, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) is a national association with 68 chapters representing over 22,000 merit shop construction and construction-related firms with nearly two million employees. ABC Rocky Mountain’s membership represents all specialties within the U.S. construction industry and is comprised primarily of firms that perform work in the industrial and commercial sectors of the industry. ABC promotes free enterprise in the construction industry and this fundamental belief is core to all we do.
The ABC Rocky Mountain chapter was formed in 1974 and covers the states of Colorado and Wyoming. Current membership stands at 118 members.
The President and CEO provides strategic and operational leadership to ensure that the mission, goals and objectives of the Chapter are achieved in an efficient and cost-effective manner. In collaboration with, and under the general vision set forth by the board of directors, provides hands-on management of all areas of the Chapter including membership value and development, employee relations and development, finance and accounting, internal and external communication, technology, and political, government and public relations. As the spokesperson and face of the Chapter, professionally represents the Chapter before both internal and external groups.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
Board and Association Relations
- Plays the lead role in the implementation of the Chapters strategic plan with the staff. Monitors progress of the objectives delegated to key staff to ensure completion.
- Engages and communicates regularly with the Board of Directors to keep them apprised of progress toward established goals. Provides the board with sufficient internal, economic, legislative and industry updates as well as structure to enable them to make sound decisions for the Chapter.
- Researches, proposes and implements changes to policies, by-laws, and programs approved by the Board of Directors that will improve the financial or value position of the Chapter.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with Chapter Officers, committees, task forces, etc.
- Works in conjunction with the Treasurer and respective Budget & Finance Committee to develop annual budgets that reinforce the mission and ensure continuous financial stability. Collaborates with the Treasurer to assess and improve the financial status of the Association. With the Treasurer, authorizes all invoices, financial statements, and expenses. Reviews and authorizes contracts as approved in the budget or as an ad hoc expenditure approved by the Executive Board.
- Ensures and manages the process for collection of membership dues.
- Leads the human resources function. Recruits, hires, trains, engages, promotes, coaches, evaluates performances, develops and terminates staff in accordance with Chapter policies and all federal and state labor laws. Evaluates current competencies and performance measures to develop an effective team. Responsible for overseeing and budgeting for all compensation and benefits.
- Champions an exceptional member service culture by providing staff with the training, technology, equipment, facilities, and support to provide cooperative and efficient solutions to members. Proposes recommendations for improvement or purchase to the Board and implements as appropriate.
- Responsible for membership growth and retention by providing value and enhanced services to Chapter. Uses various mediums to communicate and drive the value proposition to membership. Reaches out to members to cultivate relationships that improve member satisfaction.
- Proposes, coordinates and presents high-quality and relevant content to membership events and activities to cultivate member competencies. Research legislation, data and trends in the industry and interprets implication to members. Recommends best practices.
- Assist with the structure, design, scope and administration of membership surveys. Analyzes responses and formulates and communicated findings.
- Networks with, monitors and/or participates in other industry associations, commissions, professional networks, government agencies, legislative bodies, to monitor economic, government, industry and public and private sector activities. Maintains contact with personnel to educate and garner support for industry initiatives impacting Chapter and its members.
- As a merit shop advocate, has a solid understanding of the region’s current construction industry environment.
- Takes a lead role in construction industry advocacy issues.
- May be involved in political campaigns, political action committees and fundraising.
- Proven experience in managing a budget and staff in a complex association and a demonstrated ability to both lead and build the capabilities of a diverse team.
- Manages the Chapter according to the by-laws, Chapter policies, applicable law, and best practices.
- Monitors and supervises all functions of staff. Is responsible for staff recruiting, hiring, evaluation, coaching, advising, salary administration, promotion, and termination.
- Financial Management including monthly reports to the board.
- Assures payment of dues and submission of reports to ABC National at appointed time.
- Budget preparation and monitoring, including development and implementation of Non- Dues Income.
- Monitors all committee activity through staff reports, constant communications with liaisons and periodic attendance at committee meetings.
- Maintains personnel and board policy manuals.
- Experience with nonprofit organizations, public and private funding sources, training and education institutions, various community stakeholders and other public decision-making bodies.
- Experience nurturing strategic local, state and federal government agencies and elected official relationships.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education: A Bachelor’s degree in business administration, nonprofit management, or related field equivalent and 7-10 years experience in association management.
- CAE designation strongly preferred.
- Financial Management: Demonstrated knowledge in financial management and the ability to communicate and present financial statements, forecasts and concepts to a variety of audiences.
- Leadership experience: Has a track record of successfully leading teams and managing complex operations. Has a strong sense of urgency and situational awareness and exceptional interpersonal skills. Experience as a senior manager or executive in a non-profit or business organization is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to organize and motivate groups, problem-solving skills, project design and development.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, including staff, volunteers, funders, community partners, board members and elected officials.
- Experience working with Boards of Directors/Board Committees, managing Board relations and coordinating committee activities.
- Ability to demonstrate and earn trust with board and staff; reflected to others as a visionary, balancing “big picture thinking” with attention to detail.
- Passion for the mission: Must have a strong commitment to the organization’s mission and values, with a desire to make a positive impact on the community.
- Managerial skills: Has experience in policy and program development and implementation, personnel management, organization analysis, and budget and finance management. Has strong organizational skills, high attention to detail to ensure accuracy, great problem solving and time management skills.
To achieve our mission, we hire energetic and fun-loving individuals who possess the following skills:
- Success in leading, mentoring, and developing high performing teams.
- Professional demeanor and presentation of self.
- Ability to organize and manage several priorities simultaneously while working under pressure and deadlines.
- Organizational awareness & resourcefulness - understanding of whom to engage and how to engage in order to identify solutions & resolve issues.
- Ability to take ownership of a process and to use problem solving skills to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates the highest level of personal and ethical standards.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, database management, electronic mail, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strongly encouraged to have a personal and work mission statement.
It is the continuing policy of ABC Rocky Mountain to assure equal opportunity for all current and prospective employees without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, personal appearance, marital status, familial status, family responsibility, pregnancy or other pregnancy-related conditions, childbirth, disability, military/veteran status, citizenship status, religion or political affiliation, past convictions or incarceration, prior psychiatric treatment, or any other status protected by federal or state law, local ordinance or Executive Orders. ABC Rocky Mountain is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ADA: ABC will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
While performing the responsibilities of the President & CEO, the employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands, climb or balance, and to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The position will require 30% travel to National and State meetings and events.
Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards and to remain in a stationary position 75%-90% of the time. The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without a reasonable accommodation.